INGREDIENTSFOR DIPPING SAUCE:
FOR FRIED ZUCCHINI:
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 medium zucchini
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Make dipping sauce: combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, and grated garlic in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Trim ends of zucchini, then slice in half lengthwise. Using a mandoline, carefully slice zucchini into ⅛” thick planks. (This can also be done with a chef’s knife.)
- Fit a metal rack into a large rimmed baking sheet, then line rack with paper towel. Lay zucchini slices flat and season lightly with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes, then use a paper towel to wipe away moisture and excess salt. Flip zucchini and repeat process. Discard paper towels.
- Whisk flour and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Fill a pint glass with room temperature water and line a large plate with paper towel.
- Fill a large, high-sided pot 1” deep with vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high until oil reaches 375°.
- Meanwhile, dip all zucchini slices into flour mixture to coat, and return to rack in a single layer.
- When oil comes to temperature (a little bit of flour will sizzle vigorously when you drop it in), fry zucchini: briefly dunk one zucchini slice into water to wet flour coating, letting excess water drip off. Carefully add to hot oil, then repeat with 3 or 4 more slices, depending on the size of your pan. (Try to avoid layering slices on top of each other.)
- Fry zucchini until lightly golden and crisp, about 4 minutes, carefully flipping the slices halfway through with tongs. Remove zucchini from hot oil using tongs and transfer to paper-towel lined plate; season lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and dipping sauce.